Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Winning the Race of Life Series - 'A Simple Life'

A simple life: Well, how simple is simple my friends? To win in a race, one must keep things simple and not make it complicated. Very often, I would say that things always go back to basics. For example, to grow your wealth, you need to first learn how to save. To have a healthy body, you need to exercise. To gain knowledge, you need to read more books and attend more classes. As simple as it sounds right? But I could tell you many people often complicate things and make life difficult.

Warren Buffett, although the 2nd richest man in United States still drive to work with his 2nd-hand vehicle. He has no driver. He has no entourage. He still lives in his Bungalow in a middle-class neighbourhood he bought 60years ago at USD 31,500. Buffett always keeps his meal simple and hardly ate in an expensive restaurant. Mostly fast food for Coke for his drink.

One thing I discover about people is they love making things complicated. For example, a student life is very simple. Just making sure he or she attends classes on time, do assignments and presentations, do some revision etc. If he or she could cope well with studies, then move on to other activities. All a student needs to do is to make sure things are organised and balance his or her life with family, friends, health, studies and probably other activities. It is just that simple! If a student finds it difficult to cope with studies, then spend more time with friends studying or seek guidance from lecturers on tips to study effectively. And not spending time going for mamak, or hanging out in shopping malls which is a waste of precious time. Remember, the clock is ticking and time flies.

By the way, they are many books in the bookstore that teaches you how to study effectively. A good read will be Adam Khoo "I Am Gifted, So Are You!"
As for working adults, it is more challenging as there are more and more commitments to cope with but it could be simple if a person leads a simple life.

Let me share with you how simple a guy I really am:

Family: Family is very important to me. They take good care of me and I love them very much. Besides, its always good to love your family.

Action: To make sure proper advices are given to them to lead a meaningful life, and to make sure I spend time with them no matter how busy I am. Example: I spend quality time (3-4days) with my cousins every end of the year.

Friends: I only make good friends...friends that are sincere and good to me. When I said good means they help me and treat me well without any hidden agenda behind. If not, why waste time on people who are bad and would destroy or complicate your life? Get away!

Action: Always calling them to keep in touch. Always looking for them at least once a month although they are a distance away. And yea, we always go countdown to usher the new year and have fun together.

Health: It is important to be healthy. What is the point of having all the money in the world but not being healthy to enjoy life right? So yea, remain physically healthy and lead a healthy life.

Action: Hit the gym 2-3 times a week... work out and do some jogging.

Girlfriend/Wife: Very simple, she is there for me and I am there for her be great. When we are not together, she will always think about me and I be thinking about her. Both hearts are deeply connected no matter where we are and what happens. Both will remain faithful and loyal to each other.

Action: Just do my part will do, and provide the best for her.

Financial: It is important to achieve financial freedom because that is what real freedom really is. To do what u love to do. To be rich, one has to learn how to be rich and that takes a tremendous amount of dedication to increase your financial education. I wanna be financially free because I hope to spend quality time with my family in the future. Example: I would love to spend more time at home to take good care of my babies/kids. Bring them to school and see them coming back and call me: "Daddy, we are back home... wanna show you what we did at school today! "Dad, your food is delicious...thank you for taking good care of us, love you dad"

I know its a bit too early now...but guess what, one has to work towards it. If a person wants that kind of life, its better to get started now and be prepared for the future. Don't you agree?

Action: Read many financial books and attend seminars and courses. Take massive action to achieve the financial goal although its so difficult and requires some sacrifice. It is definitely worth it in the future though.

These are the simple examples of how I lead a simple life.

No comments: